Top 10 Hobbies That Will Make You Smarter
Here is the Top 10 Hobbies That Will Make You Smarter
10. Shooting Games
- Person playing 3D games, like first person shooters, they had increased development in their prefrontal cortex, right hippocampus, and cerebellum, all of which are used for complex human actions, like spatial memory, navigation, and hand-eye coordination.
- In another study, researchers had one group play a puzzle game and a second group played first person shooters.
- They found out that the group that played the first person shooters were more likely to avoid distraction better and had improved selective visual attention, meaning they better able at processing visual information than people not playing the puzzle games.
9. Mild Drinking
- A large study from 2010 conducted in Norway with 5,033 men and women over the age of 54 for seven years.
- They found that women who drank four or more glasses of wine within two weeks had better brain functionality than women who had no drinks at all.
- Also found that wine was especially helpful, compared to other alcohols.
- Relationship is linked to a number of health benefits, including reducing stress.
- Aid in helping burn calories.
- Good for your brain.
- But there is good news for people who are in a long term relationship.
- Two other studies using rats and mice concluded that Physical relationship helped mental performance and increased neurogenesis, the production of new neurons in the hippocampus, an important part of the brain where long-term memories are formed.
- Scrabble was invented in 1938 by Alfred Mosher Butts.
- Needs a large vocabulary and pattern recognition in order to do well in the game.
- Helps to increase the brain power.
6. Reading Books of Fiction
- It is understandable that reading non-fiction would make you smarter because it increases your knowledge about real events, places, and people.
- Instead, everyone who reads has to create “reading circuits” in the brain.
- The reason is because when someone “deep reads,” meaning really sitting down and reading something as opposed to scanning or superficial reading, the same part of their brains are active as if it were happening in real life.
- Meaning that reading quality fiction is one of the best ways to improve your emotional IQ.
- A study from 2009 found that when someone starts playing Tetris, the brain consumes a bunch of glucose, which is a fuel for the brain.
- But after practicing Tetris over a short time, the brain used less and less glucose each time they played.
- The reason is because the glucose thickens due to gray matter neurons becoming more interconnected, making it easier to solve problems.
- People who played Tetris for 30 minutes every day saw improvement in their overall brain function.
- Playing chess actually does make you smarter.
- Improves learning and memorization skills.
- Increases problem solving skills and understanding cause and effect.
3. Exercise and Sports
- Studies have found that athletes who play team sports have an increased cortical thickness in areas of the brain that track movement.
- Athletes shown to have better working memories and multi-tasking.
- It also boosts your brain.
- Dancing – the best things you could do to improve cognitive functions.
- Strengthens mental acuity.
- Also helps in preventing dementia.
- The physical activity of dancing causes neural pathways in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus to connect, making the brain stronger.
1. Playing a Musical Instrument
- Different parts of the brain interpret different aspects of the music.
- While playing an instrument, Music’s effect on the brain is even more pronounced.
- Learning to play an instrument improvs brain strength.